Wednesday, July 29

virgin hunters

Okay, so I'm finally going to gush about the 'exciting' news dealing with house hunting...

Thanks {again} to HGTV for borrowing much of my time due to my interest in all of their shows. I have found myself living some real-life episodes of both 'Property Virgins' and 'House Hunters'.

Last Tuesday, Kurt and I {along with his dad -- our realtor} spent a couple hours touring 5 or 6 houses that had sparked some interest. I was very excited to take our first trip to begin looking at houses. Throughout the entire build-up process, I have told myself {and reminded Kurt} that we need to be very careful about the decisions we make, to really think them through, and most importantly not act impulsively. I continued reminding myself of these things while looking at these particular houses.

As we pulled up to the very first house, I can remember not having really any expectations of what we were going to see. To our surprise, we walked in and pretty much loved everything about the house. {It surely didn't hurt that we quickly discovered two very cute doggies in their backyard along with lots of IU paraphernalia around the house!!!} The house has a new roof, new windows, a semi-finished basement with a radon pump, a new furnace, 3 bedrooms, and lots of storage....huge things for a house in our price range. {Yes, we would have to do some upgrading, but that is what we're looking forward to doing. Plus, I would MUCH rather spend money on redoing things and decorating rather than dropping a ton of money on a new roof!}

We left that house with two complaints: the front isn't brick {but not many houses in our price range are -- and it's only our first house} and the upstairs master is hot {something that wouldn't be too hard to fix with a fan or two}. When we left the house, I was determined to not think about it too much, knowing that I probably liked it so much just because it was the first one we had looked at. Well...none of the other houses measured up, at all. We saw a few that had some things we liked, but overall the rest were a disappointment.

That night, we decided to keep that house in the back of our minds, but that we needed to look at some other houses before making any type of decision. I do remember saying to Kurt that we needed to look at other houses quickly because I think I would be really sad if something happened to that house.

The more I thought about the house, the more I could picture us living there and envision our furniture and belongings inside of it. I've been thinking all about the things that we would renovate, what order we would do things in, and what we would want it to look like. I couldn't wait to show my parents the pictures and tell them about it and we made sure to tell some friends about how much we liked it.

AND, we found out yesterday that it was withdrawn...taken off the market.

Sweet. There is still some hope. Kurt's dad called the realtor shortly after we found out, to ask why it had been withdrawn because he had people who were interested in coming by for a second showing. The other realtor explained that he thinks it would be okay to still come by for another showing. We're still waiting to hear back from that guy about a time {if any} to visit the house again. We can't call back because Kurt's dad explained that we can't seem too interested in the house because then we won't be able to negotiate with them if we were to decide to put an offer in {and if they are still planning on selling it}!!

In the meantime, we are going to visit a couple other houses today. Hopefully, we'll find a few others that have potential and I hope especially that we'll hear back from the realtor from our favorite house.

So that's all our house hunting drama. Soon I hope to no longer be a 'property virgin' or to be 'house hunting' any longer!! Keep your fingers crossed {and maybe your toes, too} for us!

1 comment:

  1. That's exciting Katie! I hope you are able to get it! Good luck with the house hunting...can't wait to hear what happens!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments. I always love to hear what you have to say!