Monday, May 4

smitten for...family

Imagine 1968. Senior Prom. She was in a yellow swiss dotted dress. He was in a naru jacket. Both had butterflies. They would later call themselves "high school sweethearts." This is when it all began....

Thinking back to how they describe themselves when they were younger, they might have been seen as an odd couple. He was the party boy; always having fun, probably always doing the wrong thing. She was not as daring, not one to get in trouble. My parents both graduated from IU. While in college, he was the "frat" boy. She was the one typing his papers for him at 3:00am the night before it was due. Christmas Eve of their Senior year in college, my dad proposed to my mom. They were married the fall after they graduated - October 21, 1972.  

(Unfortunately, I don't have an old picture of them. Spending Spring Break together!)

Both being raised Catholic, they decided to have a "big" family. Andy was born in October 1977, Patrick in November 1979, Christopher in December 1981, and {literally} surprisingly I was born in June of 1985. {If you didn't notice the pattern of almost exactly two years between all three boys. I decided to come along three and a half years later...not to mention in the summer!} 

My parents and my brothers are all amazing people. We had a wonderful childhood. My parents made it clear that they would give each of us the world, and that's exactly what they still continue doing each and every day. They were thankful for their Catholic education and wanted the same for us. They sacrificed a lot to send all four of us through 12 years of private education plus 4 years of college. My mom stayed at home with us while my dad worked {and still works} his butt off for us. 

I love my family. I love having three older brothers. I love how my parents are still in love after so many years together. I love how all of us would give the world to each other. It's unusual to go a week without seeing my family. {Unfortunately, Christopher lives in Alabama (soon to be NYC) trying to make it as an actor. We don't get to see him as often.} Because of my parents, we've been given so many wonderful opportunities. But, we've chosen to stay close. I know we'll be there for each other forever....that's what family's for!  

(The most recent picture of my brothers and I. We really do like each other...)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments. I always love to hear what you have to say!