Thursday, July 26

We're Having a Baby!

I know I've totally abandoned this blog for a long, long time. I needed some major motivation to get me back on track -- some exciting things going on in our lives that are worth documenting! Pregnancy is something I've been so excited for for a long time and I knew I wanted to document everything. So, I'm back!! :) Hopefully for good this time and to share more than just my pregnancy. 


I'm planning to post weekly Belly Bump photos with some things that have been happening each week. However, I wanted to go back a couple months and write all about the beginning of our pregnancy. 


How it all started:

Kurt and I decided to begin trying to get pregnant Spring 2012. After our spring break trip to Mexico with my parents, I went off the pill. I am really bad about keeping secrets, so most people knew that we were "trying." I tried hard to stop drinking, which gave people an immediate idea of what was going on. :) After a month passed, I decided to take a pregnancy test on the day I was supposed to get my period. Nothing. I waited a couple days and took another one. Nothing. I waited another week or so and took another one. Nothing. 

At that point, I was really frustrated. If I wasn't pregnant and wasn't getting my period, that must mean I wasn't ovulating, right? So I decided I wasn't going to care so much and put so much pressure on getting pregnant. I decided to drink on the weekends again and just have a fun time! We began planning the lake weekend for Memorial Day, which included me organizing a keg of Summer Shandy. We also planned a birthday party for me at our house. 

The week before Memorial Day, I felt like I was going to start my period. I was really crampy. I told Kurt about it and he thought I should take another pregnancy test just in case since we were planning on drinking quite a bit that weekend. I gave it a thought but quickly dismissed it thinking there was no way I was pregnant. Plus, I had used way too many pregnancy tests and had none left at home! 

Kurt and the guys headed up to the lake Thursday afternoon. After school I went to work out with my mom and then we met my dad for dinner. I decided that I would stop by CVS on the way home and buy some more pregnancy tests just in case. I really thought I was just crazy for wasting more money! I came home and immediately went to take one. I had heard that when you really are pregnant and take a test, the pregnant results show up immediately...no waiting 3 minutes or whatever it says on the package! So I peed on the stick and BAM...immediately there were two pink lines. I freaked out. I can remember looking in the mirror at myself and saying "Holy Shit" over and over again. I couldn't believe it! I was shaking and called Kurt right away. 

They had been up at the lake drinking for a couple hours at this point. I could hear them listening to music and chatting when I called Kurt. I told him he needed to walk away from the guys so I could tell him something. He was annoyed with me, but finally went away from them. I couldn't hold it in any longer. I told him, "I'm pregnant." I don't really remember his exact response but he was shocked. Happily shocked. But the first thoughts both of us were having were "how in the world are we going to hide this from everyone at the lake this weekend?!?!?!?" 

I wasn't sure Kurt really believed me. I ended up taking all three pregnancy tests with me to the lake {in a baggie!} to show him that this was in fact legit! Before Mer and I left for the lake on Friday, I called my doctor to schedule my first appointment. They took down some information and according to the dates of my last period, they told me I was 7 weeks. I absolutely couldn't believe it! 

Not one person questioned me at the lake that weekend. I made a few daiquiris {without alcohol} but other than that drank water the whole weekend. I think most people were too drunk to even notice the fact I wasn't drinking! It was difficult being up at the lake that weekend because all I wanted to do was talk to Kurt about it and read all about pregnancy. But we couldn't! We definitely didn't want anyone to know anything until for awhile. The next week and a half was torture trying to wait for the first appointment on June 4th. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments. I always love to hear what you have to say!