Thursday, May 23

One Year

A year ago today, my world changed. I went to work, had an appointment after school, worked out with my mom, and then went to dinner with my parents at Bazbeaux. Kurt was already up at the lake with OG and Josh getting ready for a fun Memorial Day weekend away. Because we were planning on drinking that weekend, I decided it was a good idea to stop by CVS on my way home to buy more pregnancy tests just to triple check that I wasn't pregnant. {I had already taken some in the weeks prior but they were all negative. I was pretty sure I wasn't pregnant, but thought I should really make sure.}

When I got home, I went straight to the downstairs bathroom and took a stick with me. Immediately it showed pregnant. I looked at myself in the mirror and said aloud, "Holy Shit!" As I was shaking, I cleaned up in the bathroom and went outside to call Kurt. 

As I was sitting on our back step, Kurt answered his phone. It was clear that the guys had already started drinking, but I told Kurt he needed to walk away from the guys. He was hesitant at first and didn't really want to, but did as I persisted. When I could tell that he was away from them, all I could get out was, "I'm pregnant!" 

In that moment, I was incredibly excited and in disbelief that it truly did happen. I wanted nothing more than to share that moment with Kurt next to me, not on the phone. 

In the next couple hours, I went ahead and took the other two tests to triple check that I was in fact carrying our baby. Of course, they all came back positive right away. 

I'm pretty sure I didn't sleep much that night. 

So much has changed in a year and I wouldn't want things any differently. It's amazing to think that we were just discovering my pregnancy a year ago and now I sit admiring our sweet baby girl. 

A year ago, I sat on our back step excitedly telling my husband the news on the phone. Tonight, I sit by the lake with a drink in my hand and my husband at my side while my baby girl sits on my lap. Life is really good.

Cheers to wonderful husbands, beautiful babies, warm summer evenings, and of course, a cold drink in hand!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments. I always love to hear what you have to say!