Wednesday, April 29

smitten for...love 2

Days went by and it was time for me to leave for Hawaii. I did not bring my cell phone with me on my trip. I called home a few times during those 3 weeks to check in with my parents. Friends and family sent me notes, but we got our mail one time at the end of the trip. Other than our mail, I had no contact with anyone other than my parents for those 3 weeks. 

It took me forever to get home from Hawaii. I had three different layovers. During my last layover in Detroit, I decided that I would sit at a pay phone and check my voicemail. Surprisingly I had 2 messages on my cell phone from the {very drunk} boy I had met at the "open house." And not so surprisingly, he left both of those messages after he had been drinking... But, drinking or not, he still called and left me 2 messages. 

It was great to be home and see my friends and family. Three days passed quickly and I was out of the States, again. I decided I should call the boy back to let him know I received his messages. I told him I was leaving again for a week, but he could call once I was back. 

And call he did! Almost too much! He would call for no reason or just to say hi, which would turn into 45 minute phone conversations about NOTHING. We began having conversations, but I  didn't really think anything about them. In fact, I was starting to become more and more annoyed. He told me that he knew many things about me. He said he had almost asked me to prom his Senior/my Junior year. {we went to the same high school} I didn't think this friendship was going anywhere. So, I continued on with my exciting summer plans. Our paths crossed a few times when we ended up hanging out at the same place. But, I was more focused on having fun and didn't have any interest in spending my time with one person. 

During one of our random phone conversations, it was somehow decided that we go to dinner together. Sounds great, huh? Well, not so much! Me, Miss Hopeless Romantic, and boy, Mr. Not Romantic, going on a "date." His idea of a "date" consisted of us meeting at an Italian restaurant 5 minutes from his house and 20 minutes from mine. I don't really remember anything special about dinner or me having any feelings for this somewhat awkward boy. But what I do remember is what happened at the end of dinner. Me {being a nice girl} offered to pay for my part of the dinner expecting for the boy to say, "Of course not. I've got it." But instead I heard, "Ok. I'll put the dessert {that we split} on my bill." I still remember being so shocked. I can't imagine what the look on my face was! 

I know you are thinking that I am a cheap girl and I should have been fine paying for myself. But let's get real! We were on a first "date," he didn't offer to pick me up and now I was paying for my own dinner?!? In the eyes of a hopeless romantic, that's an awful "date!" He invited me to his house to hang out for a little while because some of his friends were coming over. The boy, his friends and I sat in his basement feeling awkward until it was time for me to call it a night and go home.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments. I always love to hear what you have to say!